Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ground rules

I am going to try here to honestly, openly, unreservedly, informatively and maybe even entertainingly record my interactions with unorthodox Christians. In the first place, I intend to publish to the world (a la Henry David Thoreau or Kevin Roose) an account of my experience since it may be of benefit to others, especially given the misinformation spread in many Christian circles about those who ascribe to an understanding of Christianity different from their own. Your conclusion upon reading these accounts could be that, really, these people are just as heretical as you thought. It could be that they have some useful ideas, or that their understandings serve by way of opposition to reinforce your own. Or you might decide that they aren't really that strange, and belong within the circle of those you call brothers and sisters in Christ. I will for my part try to be open in reporting my interactions, as there is enough misinformation about already. Hopefully I will thus do good by all.

I am writing with a Christian reader in mind, or at least someone a little familiar with Christianity, but I will try to make the posts accessible to all. I feel that Christians themselves are naturally most concerned with the distinctions between heresy and orthodoxy, although many people could stand to learn more about where some of the "strange" groups and ideals within the Christian-like sphere are coming from.

Currently I am in discussions on a regular basis with a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses and a pair of Mormons. Throughout, I will use the abbreviations JW and LDS to refer to these groups respectively, especially since each set of missionaries is representing a group of believers with largely unified beliefs. I may report on my discussions with other heretics here as well, since I am known to associate with them on a regular basis. Anything beyond discussions with heretics, I will try to post on my (very infrequently updated) livejournal page.

Finally, my livejournal page not withstanding, I am not very used to blogging, and not used at all to this site. Thus I will be learning some functionality as I go, and the frequency of hypertext links and useful formatting ought to increase as I go.

You have been warned. And now, you are welcome to dive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment